Sweet and Spicy Steak Bites

Pin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUponShare on FacebookShare on YummlyEmail this to someone

Sweet and Spicy Steak Bites: Quick, easy and absolutely delicious, these steak bites make an awesome snack or main dish meat any time of year.

Quick, easy and absolutely delicious, these Sweet and Spicy Steak Bites make an awesome snack or main dish meat any time of year.

Can you list off five brand name products that come from where you live? I can, and to be honest, I’m a bit surprised about that.

I love my little area of the country, but other than the bigger metropolitan areas like Raleigh-Durham and Charlotte, it’s so green and gorgeous, it’s hard to imagine it as home to companies like Mount Olive (the pickle folks), Krispy Kreme, Pepsi, Texas Pete, and Burt’s Bees.

Not only that, the two biggest soda rivals (pop to you northern folk) were both birthed in North Carolina; Pepsi in New Bern and my beloved Coca Cola in Greensboro. Pretty cool, huh?

While I love the fact that buying any of these products counts as ‘buying local,’ what I really enjoy is finding the smaller, up-and-coming products that have a home here where I live.

Such is the case with the bottle of BS Sauce that’s sitting in my fridge right now.  I discovered it during my recent tour of the totally renovated Reynolda Lowes food store last week and fell in love, so much in love that I’ve used three quarters of the bottle over the course of the weekend.

Half of it went to these steak bites.

The Process

This is super simple. If you have some beef, butter, salt and pepper and a bottle of BS sauce, you’re good to go. Oh yeah, it’s also a good idea to have a well-seasoned cast iron skillet. Because everything cooks better in cast iron.

That being said, heat the skillet, then add the oil, allowing it to just begin to bubble. Throw in the beef and season it with salt and pepper. After a few minutes of cooking and giving the meat a chance to sear, add in the sauce and butter. Serve with a smile.

The Verdict

Oh my, oh my. These bites were fantastic. The sauce works perfectly with the beef and turns the bites into little packages of flavor. Hubby and Dudette agreed. In fact, the two adults were a bit surprised (and saddened) by how much our young lady ate. She devoured her share and then some, removing any chance that Hubby would have leftovers for lunch.

They’re that good.

The Recipe

Sweet and Spicy Steak Bites

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

A Taking On Magazines original recipe, inspired by Cravings of a Lunatic
Reviewed by:
Recipe type: Appetizer
Cuisine: American
Serves: 6
Ingredients
  • 2 pounds sirloin tip roast
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil (not extra virgin)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 teaspoon hot sauce (I used Texas Pete Chipotle)
  • 2 tablespoons BS Original Cooking Sauce
Instructions
  1. heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat (or over direct flame on a grill). Add the oil, heat, then add the beef (it should sizzle and sputter). Season the beef with the salt and pepper and cook on all sides for 3-4 minutes.
  2. Add the butter and BS Sauce, stir to coat and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
  3. Remove to a bowl and dig in.

It’s usually at this point that you’ll see the disclaimers about a product being provided but the opinions being all my own. That’s not the case here. The folks that make the BS Sauce have no idea (yet) that I bought a bottle of the sauce, made the steak bites and am telling you about their product. I just believe in supporting local companies … when they’re worth supporting. This stuff; totally worth it.

12 thoughts on “Sweet and Spicy Steak Bites

• Pingback: Happy Saturday! Let’s Talk About … |

• Pingback: Happy Saturday! Let's Talk About ...Taking On Magazines One Recipe at a Time

• July 31, 2014 at 10:44 am

An hour and half? Then you can throw in Dr. Pepper for me. Orginially made in Waco, Texas just down I-35. That's the first one that pops into my head.

• July 31, 2014 at 11:00 am

Oh heck, yeah, you can count Dr. Pepper! We have a lot that are right here, but my favorite is Mount Olive, the pickle people. Their headquarters is on the corner of Cucumber and Vine. I think that's awesome.

• July 30, 2014 at 11:13 am

Looks great. I'll have to try that method.

How local are you talking as far as brand name products? I can definitely list 5 microbreweries in my area. They have exploded around here lately.

• July 30, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Yeah, we have lots of microbreweries here too. I'd say the company that's the farthest away in the list I gave is Burt's Bees. They're located in Durham, which is an hour and a half from us.

• July 29, 2014 at 2:15 am

Yah, I was so thrilled when I saw these pop up. I giggled over the smile thing.

I swear steak bites are the greatest invention in the world. Okay, that may be overdoing it but we have the same thing happen as you, never any leftovers when I make it. They are so addictive.

I need to try that sauce. We are sauce addicts here. I think I have about 30 in my fridge. It's wild. We're heading to St Jacobs Market next week and I know I'll be coming home with every brand of sauce and olive oil they have.

• July 29, 2014 at 1:58 pm

I have been wanting to make those bites ever since you posted them, but I knew I wouldn't be able to get my hands on that sauce very easily. So, I waited and looked around and knew that eventually the right one would pass my way so I could make my own version. Thank you, thank you.

• July 28, 2014 at 5:52 pm

This looks amazing. There would be no leftovers at my house! I will keep my eye out for that sauce.

• July 28, 2014 at 5:42 pm

The steak looks great. And I am all about buying local. Just went to the farmer's market on Sunday in Saratoga Springs NY ( a whopping less than 1/2 hour). Is Burt''s Bees still manufactured locally by you? Clorox bought them some time back and I thought they moved. But what do I know? Just a Yankee in upstate NY :) Love their products-my fav is the plain old lip balm and lemon and vitamin E oil.

• July 29, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Yeah, Burt's Bees' headquarters is still in NC (Durham). A couple hours away, but still more local than NY :)