Piled high with flavor and oozing with goodness, the Sassy Sriracha Double Decker Cheeseburger is a double dose of heaven between two buns. And, as part of #BurgerMonth, I have an amazing 8-item giveaway going on!
Many years ago, when my husband played computer games, he had a flight simulator, complete with joystick. I would get a kick out of watching him, engrossed so deeply in what he was doing that he’d sway back and forth, as though he was actually sitting the pixelated plane on the screen in front of him.
Fast forward a few years (or decades), and I find myself doing just about the same thing. Though, instead of flying, I’m watching a commercial in which a pencil-thin waif is pretending to attempt to take a bite out of a monstrous burger that a) probably isn’t even real and b) would require a knife, fork and doggy bag if it were.
Even so, I find myself working my jaws, willing the young thing to take a big ole chomp out of that amazing looking sandwich. You know what I’m talking about?
Yeah, that’s it. And that’s why, during #NationalBurgerMonth, I’m having fun with a bunch of other bloggers as we bring recipe after recipe of mouth watering, bun defying burgers. You think a scantily clad young lady on the television had trouble with her burger? You ain’t seen nothing yet.
Thanks to Kita, the amazing creator of Girl Carnivore and host of our #BurgerMonth again this year, there are dozens, literally dozens, of mouthwatering, drool creating burgers for you to sink your teeth in. Bison, lamb, beef (Certified Angus Beef® at that), pork and turkey; they’re all here.
Including this one; the Sassy Sriracha Double Decker Cheeseburger.
Each of the components of this burger are super easy to pull together in a short amount of time.
I used hot water with the Sriracha pickled red onions so they’d absorb as much of the flavor as possible. Letting them sit for only fifteen minutes keeps them from losing their crispness. Just combine all the ingredients and put the bowl to the side while making mixing the beef.
For the burgers themselves, I wanted to counter the tart heat of the pickled onions, so while I added more, I finely chopped a sweet onion, knowing it would cook and caramelize as the meat did. I also threw in some of the ingredients for my favorite rib rub, boosting the flavor profile even more.
The Sriracha mayonnaise was the final piece. It gave the last punch of flavor to the burger, pulling together the sour and sweet and mellowing the heat of the hot sauce.
Oh yeah, this is a two-fisted, mouth-wide-open kind of burger. We had juices dripping down our fingers and loved every minute of it. The Sriracha flavor is there, giving its sass without overwhelming heat (you can always add more if you do want it hot-hot). This is my kind of burger.
Sassy Sriracha Double Decker Cheeseburger Recipe
- 1 small red onion, cut into thin rings
- 2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- ½ cup hot water
- 1 pound ground Certified Angus Beef®
- ½ medium sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sriracha
- Tomato slices
- Lettuce leaves
- Make the Sriracha pickled red onions. Place sliced onions in a small bowl. Sprinkle them with the salt and sugar. Add the Sriracha, vinegar and hot water. Stir until the sugar and salt are dissolved, then cover the mixture with plastic, using a plate to keep the onions submerged.
- Make the Sriracha mayonnaise. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise and 2 tablespoons Sriracha. Set aside.
- Make the burgers. Combine the Certified Angus Beef®, finely chopped onion, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder and brown sugar in a large bowl. Form into patties.
- Grill over direct heat for 3-4 minutes. Flip and add the cheese to the already-grilled side of the burger. Cover the grill and let cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Assemble the burgers. Toast the buns. Lay a piece of lettuce on the bottom bun, then add a burger patty. Top the patty with a tomato slice and that with the second piece of beef. Add a good amount of the Sriracha pickled red onions and finish off the burger with the top bun, after slathering it with Sriracha mayonnaise.
You knew that wasn’t it, didn’t you. We don’t do #BurgerMonth without some awesome giveaways and boy do we have an amazing selection again this year. How about:
- A Swissmar Glow 7-piece Fondue Set ($15.00)
- American Lamb
- Cabot 4-Cheese Box
- Certified Angus Beef®
- Charbroil Grill
- Cowboy Charcoal Samplers
- Cuttingboard.com cutting board
- GrillMasters Club Box
You wanna win that? Use the Rafflecopter doo-hickey below, follow the rules, and have at it!
I am so very grateful to the American Lamb Board, Char-broil, Cowboy Charcoal, Swissmar, Cabot Cheese, Grill Master Club, Certified Angus Beef®, and CuttingBoard.com for the amazing grill prize packages that they provided.