Super-fast to make and a perfect way to highlight summer’s fruit, Pan-Grilled Chicken with Peach Salsa is delicious.
As soon as I enter my grocery store these days, I’m met with the powerful aroma of summer. The produce guys scored a deal with a local grower and as a result, basket upon basket of gorgeous peaches are temptingly displayed at the front, begging to be purchased … and eaten.
Sophie and I have laid waste to our fair share of the fruit this month. I’ll bring home a half dozen at a time and never have a chance to do anything with them because my kid loves them and eats them like apples.
This week, however, the peaches I purchased are still on the counter. Sophie’s off visiting her grandparents so I’m finally able to use them in ways she might not approve. Peach salsa? She definitely wouldn’t be happy with that one.
Cooking Light touts this as being a 25-minute meal. After working a full day, I was curious to see if the recipe would actually get me off my feet in under a half hour so I jumped right in.
I mixed together the ‘rub’ in a bowl, added the chicken and tossed it around to coat. Then I added it to the preheated grill pan and turned towards the peaches. A quick peel and dice and they were in the bowl. I added some finely chopped chile, sugar, mint and lemon juice. The salsa came together in well under the 12 minutes needed to cook the chicken so I threw some rice in a pan and cooked it up to go alongside the meat.
In well less than 25 minutes, dinner was ready. I was impressed.
Oh my goodness, this was good. I wouldn’t have been impressed if the chicken had been coated, but it was and the coating was fantastic. Cumin and peaches should always go together. It was a stellar combination. Doug thought so as well. Absolutely delicious.
What I’d Do Different Next Time
Not a thing.
Chicken breasts: $5.99
Fresno chile: $.69
Lemon juice: $.69
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 4 (6-oz.) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Cooking spray
- 2¼ cups chopped peeled fresh peaches (about 2 large)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red Fresno chile
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; add chicken, turning to coat. Heat a grill pan over medium-high. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chicken to pan; grill 6 minutes on each side or until done. Remove from pan; let stand 5 minutes.
- Combine peaches and remaining ingredients in a bowl; serve with chicken.