Orange-Mustard Glazed Pork Chops from Cooking Light Magazine, January 2014

Pin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUponShare on FacebookShare on YummlyEmail this to someone

I’d like to thank Sue, my neighbor, without whom I might have made a mistake that could have very possibly caused the death of two adults.

You see, we carpool. Some days I take Dudette and her kids to school and other days she has the honors of driving all three squirrely  ones.  Today was my day. As Boo and Logan climbed into the car, him in the front and Boo in the back, I heard a noise. From the front seat it sounded a bit like Mini Mouse.

As the doors shut and I put the car in reverse, the sound came again. It was definitely talking, cute, miniature-being conversation. Dudette squealed. Dudette never squeals.

Next thing I knew, a bluish furry thing with freakazoidal glowing eyes was thrust between the seats and into my face. I finally met a Furby.

The next fifteen minutes were a form of torture like I’ve never experienced before. The only thing more obnoxious than a toy with a high, squeaky voice that never stops talking is a toy with a high, squeaky voice that never stops talking in a car. The two girls in the back seat tortured me the whole way to school.

Furby passed gas. It burped. It danced. And it talked. The whole 15 minutes, it talked. I might have driven a little too fast. I’m sure if I’d been pulled over the police officer would have understood and given me an escort to get me to school more quickly and put me out of my misery. What those young ladies did to me was cruel and unusual punishment.

So, thank you Sue. Thank you so very much. Dudette wanted a Furby for Christmas but I had a bad, bad feeling about the critter from the start so it never made it to the Christmas lists I sent around to family. Since the holidays, however, Dudette’s lamented several times about not getting that one gift. So, I’ve been considering finding one for her. Now I won’t.

Not ever.

The Process

In my book, this is the best way to cook thick-cut pork chops. Searing them in a skillet on the stove prior to putting the whole thing in the oven to finish cooking ensures that the chops have a yummy caramelized exterior but are perfectly moist and cooked on the inside.

I like that Cooking Light boosted the flavor even more by adding onions and rosemary to the pan with the pork. I would have been happy with that.  But, the magazine went a step further. They had me create a glaze of orange juice and marmalade and whole-grain mustard, simmering it down to a gloriously fragrant syrup. Then I was told to pour the mixture over the pork chops just prior to putting the whole skillet in the oven.  Heavens, be still my heart.

Once the was done, I removed it and the onions/rosemary to a plate, added some lime juice and reduced the liquid in the pan a bit before drizzling it over everything.  Dinner was served.

The Verdict

You don’t really have to ask what I thought of this, do you? Holy cow, it was good. Dudette said as much after her first bite. Hubby just groaned in satisfaction. I gnawed on the bone. We all loved it. I thought Hubby and Dudette were going to duke it out as to who would get to have the leftover chop the next day.

This dish has an incredible amount of flavor, so much so that it’s easy to forget that it really is healthy. The marmalade works well to thicken the sauce and the finally addition of lime juice at the end provides the yin of tartness to the yang of the sweet sauce.

What I’d Do Different Next Time

Absolutely nothing.

Orange-Mustard Glazed Pork Chops from Cooking Light Magazine, January 2014

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Reviewed by:
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: American
Serves: 4
Ingredients
  • ½ cup fresh orange juice (about 2 oranges)
  • 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
  • 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 4 (6-ounce) bone-in pork loin chops (1 inch thick)
  • ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
  • ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 rosemary sprigs
  • 1 medium red onion, cut into ½-inch wedges
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 425°.
  2. Combine juice, marmalade, and mustard in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until syrupy.
  3. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. Add to pan; cook 5 minutes or until browned. Turn pork; add rosemary and onion to pan. Pour juice mixture over pork; bake at 425° for 10 minutes or until a thermometer registers 140°. Place onion and rosemary on a platter. Return pan to medium-high heat; add lime juice. Cook 4 minutes or until liquid is syrupy. Add pork to platter; drizzle with sauce.

If you have a Furby in your house, I am so, so sorry. If you have some nice, thick pork chops, make this recipe. Maybe it will help ease the pain.

26 thoughts on “Orange-Mustard Glazed Pork Chops from Cooking Light Magazine, January 2014

• Pingback: Four Citrus-Herb Chicken from Cooking Light Magazine, January 2014 |

• October 1, 2014 at 6:30 pm

I thought the taste was delicious, but my chops were overcooked. Mine weren't an inch thick which was most likely the problem, and next time I'll just cook them for less time.

• October 3, 2014 at 9:36 am

I'm glad you enjoyed them, Kat! I'm sorry that they overcooked, but I think reducing the cooking time in relation to the thickness of the chops will help a lot. Thanks for stopping by and letting me know what you thought.

• September 9, 2014 at 7:32 pm

I don’t have thick pork chops but I’m attempting this recipe tonight!!

• Pingback: Breakfast - what did you have today? - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community Food Talk And Fabulous Finds

• January 17, 2014 at 9:15 am

Now I'm compelled to purchase thick-cut pork chops for the sole pleasure of noshing on this dish. Beautiful work here, Christiane. I don't allow toys of any kind in the car for the very reason you were held captive for 15 minutes of horror. Moreover, I will never allow a single penny to be spent on a squealing dancing, burping, farting Furby. Ever. I appreciate the heads-up!

• Pingback: Four Citrus-Herb ChickenTaking On Magazines One Recipe at a Time

• January 15, 2014 at 1:21 am

Okay so first did you notice how much Furby looks like Gismo. Not even kidding. Total rip off. They ripped off Gismo. My kids had them. Drove me nutty.

Okay on to the recipe. I love pork, but pork does not always love me back. Occasionally I indulge and throw caution to the wind. This recipe is the next one I'm using when I do that. It sounds and looks so amazing. Pork chips are one of my favourite meals on the planet. I wish I could eat them every single day.

• January 16, 2014 at 12:23 pm

I did notice and it bugs me. I'm surprised that the folks at Warner Bros. haven't sued them. But, what are you gonna do. You should try this. I've already had a bunch of people let me know that they tried it and loved it.

• Pingback: The Sunday Sip ~ Peter Pan, The Avocado, A Tease and The Dish of the WeekTaking On Magazines One Recipe at a Time

• January 11, 2014 at 8:54 pm

I totally can't believe that Furbys came back into our lives. I thought we were done with them after their brief appearance in the 90's! I feel your pain, those things are the worst.

• January 11, 2014 at 3:50 pm

I have chops defrosting now and we were going to grill them. I am rethinking that now. (Poor Furby.)

• January 11, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Wow.. these pork chops look amazing. I can just see how juicy and delicious they must be from the photo.

• January 11, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Oh, boy, this would be a hit at my house, too! And I love that most of these ingredients are always on hand!

• January 10, 2014 at 9:09 pm

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your attempts at stuff I've seen in magazines but not talked myself into making yet. I see a lot of food blogs on Pinterest and usually skip over reading them to get at the recipe, but I very much enjoy your write-ups, and you've quickly become the only blog I really read. I especially appreciate that each entry, though fun and humorous, mostly focuses on the food, and the tips about what you'd do differently. And the Queen-o commercial- I appreciate that too. Thank you!

Also, I am so sorry you had to experience any amount of Furby. Ugh.

• January 12, 2014 at 10:11 am

Hi Kristy. I've kept your note in my inbox for the past day and have probably read it half a dozen times. Thank you so, so much for the kind words. They mean an awful lot to me, especially the comments about my writing. It's harder to do than cooking the food. :) If there's a favorite food magazine that you'd like me to go through, just let me know! Christiane

• January 26, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Christiane, I didn't check back at this page till today. I'm glad I could offer some encouragement- I'll try to keep it up because I'd be sad if you stopped blogging! I really appreciate the Cooking Light recipe reviews as I haven't missed an issue of it in a long time but pick recipes selectively. However, recipes from other magazines are interesting as well because I don't usually buy them unless I'm sure of a recipe.

• January 27, 2014 at 11:13 am

Thanks, Kristy! I have a working relationship with Cooking Light so you'll always be seeing them here. Plus, they keep me fitting in my clothes. :) I hope you've been able to find a few good magazines from the recipes I've made in them. Fine Cooking's my favorite and the one I'll be going through in Feburary. :)

• January 10, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Saw this on Google+ and it made my mouth water, now I'm drooling. I bet Furby doesn't do that!

• January 12, 2014 at 10:06 am

Don't be so sure about Furby. He burps and passes gas so I wouldn't put other bodily functions past him.

• January 10, 2014 at 10:08 am

It helps when you are about to wrestle someone for leftovers if you weigh a hundred pounds (+) more than they do. Just a friendly tip.

• January 10, 2014 at 9:37 am

I just bought orange juice last night and we have 5 pork chops in the freezer… sounds like a date to me!

• January 12, 2014 at 10:05 am

Let me know what you think after you make it (fyi, part of what I wrote in The Sunday Sip was just for you).