Four-Mushroom Pesto Pizza from Cooking Light Magazine, April 2013

Pin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUponShare on FacebookShare on YummlyEmail this to someone

I know that the mouse is the one that plays when the cat’s away, but I gotta tell you, I have a feeling that this cat got a lot more play time in than stay-at-home mouse Hubby.

Sure, Hubby had the crystal in the buffet bouncing around with Rush cranked up as loud as he could stand it. Of course college basketball was on the television from the moment he got home until he headed for bed. And yes, I’m sure healthy quantities of beer were consumed while watching those games.

But I still experienced a higher level of play.

You see, I made four-mushroom pesto pizza. Even more importantly, I heard sighs of enjoyment and gratitude from those with whom I shared it.

Well, with the exception of one, who shall remain nameless, but who ran around the house with her shirt covering her nose, declaring that it smelled disgusting and she couldn’t stand it anymore.

Yup, considering the pizza alone, I played way, way more than Hubby.

The Process

Remember, this is the April issue of Cooking Light, so this pizza is supposed to be ready in under 40 minutes. That makes it perfect for a quick lunch when there’s an outing to the park waiting to happen.

The prep is as simple as pressing the pizza dough into the pan and sautéing the mushrooms and garlic in a skillet until soft.

Spread pesto over the dough, sprinkle cheese over the pesto and dump the mushrooms on. Bake and eat.

The Verdict

Sighs of enjoyment. Lots of enjoyment. For mushroom lovers, the pizza is out of this world. I used the porcini along with cremini, oyster and shitake. I chose wisely. The pesto was my mom’s home made variety and was excellent. It went perfectly with the mushroom mix. We loved it.

What I’d Do Different Next Time

I’d use more pesto, maybe double the amount.

Four-Mushroom Pesto Pizza from Cooking Light Magazine, April 2013
Prep time
Cook time
Total time
Recipe type: Pizza
Cuisine: Italian
Serves: 4
  • 12 ounces refrigerated fresh pizza dough
  • Cooking spray
  • ⅔ cup water
  • ⅓ cup dried porcini mushrooms
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 3 (4-ounce) packages fresh exotic mushroom blend
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • ⅛ teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons refrigerated pesto
  • 3 ounces whole-milk mozzarella cheese, shredded (about ¾ cup)
  1. Place a pizza stone or heavy baking sheet in oven. Preheat oven to 500° (keep pizza stone or baking sheet in oven as it preheats).
  2. Place the dough in a medium microwave-safe bowl coated with cooking spray. Cover and microwave at ­MEDIUM (50% power) 45 seconds. Let stand 5 minutes.
  3. Combine ⅔ cup water and porcini in a 2-cup glass measuring cup. Microwave at HIGH 4 minutes or until tender; drain. Coarsely chop porcini.
  4. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl. Add fresh mushrooms and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in porcini, pepper, and salt.
  5. Roll dough into a 12 x 8-inch rectangle on a floured surface. Carefully remove pizza stone from oven; arrange dough on pizza stone. Spread pesto over dough, leaving a ½-inch border. Sprinkle cheese over pesto; top with mushroom mixture. Bake at 500° for 13 minutes or until crust is browned and crisp. Cut into 8 pieces
I'd use more pesto, maybe double the amount.

0 thoughts on “Four-Mushroom Pesto Pizza from Cooking Light Magazine, April 2013

• Pingback: National Pizza Month Round-Up - Crowther Cafe

• February 3, 2015 at 2:55 pm

That is most definitely the best looking pizza i have ever seen! I will be making this tonight. Thank you for the recipe!

• April 9, 2013 at 8:48 am

Wow, what a pizza! Love the mushroom mixture, perfect choices for that woodsy flavour. Thanks for sharing!

• April 6, 2013 at 5:19 pm

I love your pictures and recipes, they are mouth watering. Would love for you to share them with us at We are new but at we are not photography snobs, we are just foodies.

• April 6, 2013 at 10:27 am

I will have to make my own "personal pan pizza" version of this. The Hubs hates mushrooms (or actually, he just "thinks" he does b/c I do put them in a lot of things with no comments from him). But, I think he would notice all the lovely mushrooms here.

• April 6, 2013 at 10:38 am

Yeah, the mushrooms are a little hard to hide. I'd still make the whole pizza though….It was hard to stop eating and I could have easily munched on it throughout the day. :)

• April 6, 2013 at 8:33 am

I didn't see this pizza in Cooking LIght but surely their photo couldn't have been more gorgeous than yours! This looks fantastic!

• April 5, 2013 at 6:09 pm

This looks ridiculous. I now know what I am doing with the huge container of mushrooms in my fridge right now. And go.

• April 5, 2013 at 1:05 pm

So! Was the pizza done in under 40 minutes? Your comment "supposed to be done" makes me wonder if it was! Love all the mushrooms though. I would totally eat this with you!

• April 6, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Yes, the pizza was done in under 40 minutes. I think it may have been done in under 30. And I would totally make this for you! :)

• April 5, 2013 at 11:50 am

Looks good except for the mushrooms :) I'm not sure if I missed it, but how did your daughter do in obtaining the double black belt (I think that is what it was, but I can't find the post)? I think my husband would like this but no mushrooms for me. I can however, cook them without running around the house with a shirt over my face :)

• April 6, 2013 at 10:31 am

Dudette rocked the testing and is a double black stripe now. She was the only one in her group to break the board with a spinning back kick on the first try.

• April 6, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Congrats to her!!!!! And the proud Mom :)

• April 5, 2013 at 10:01 am

I recently made a pizza with a cheese that had pesto in it and hubby said it was the most flavorful pizza he ever had. We both love mushrooms. No children at home to turn up their noses. Poor dudette I bet that smell lingered a while.

• April 5, 2013 at 9:22 am

LOL! I have a vivid picture of Dudette running with her shirt covering her nose. :) Well this would definitely be a treat in my house. I am lucky and my son is starting to take to mushrooms. My daughter is still on the fence. She may pick all the mushrooms off and eat the pesto crust. :)