I know that the mouse is the one that plays when the cat’s away, but I gotta tell you, I have a feeling that this cat got a lot more play time in than stay-at-home mouse Hubby.
Sure, Hubby had the crystal in the buffet bouncing around with Rush cranked up as loud as he could stand it. Of course college basketball was on the television from the moment he got home until he headed for bed. And yes, I’m sure healthy quantities of beer were consumed while watching those games.
But I still experienced a higher level of play.
You see, I made four-mushroom pesto pizza. Even more importantly, I heard sighs of enjoyment and gratitude from those with whom I shared it.
Well, with the exception of one, who shall remain nameless, but who ran around the house with her shirt covering her nose, declaring that it smelled disgusting and she couldn’t stand it anymore.
Yup, considering the pizza alone, I played way, way more than Hubby.
Remember, this is the April issue of Cooking Light, so this pizza is supposed to be ready in under 40 minutes. That makes it perfect for a quick lunch when there’s an outing to the park waiting to happen.
The prep is as simple as pressing the pizza dough into the pan and sautéing the mushrooms and garlic in a skillet until soft.
Spread pesto over the dough, sprinkle cheese over the pesto and dump the mushrooms on. Bake and eat.
Sighs of enjoyment. Lots of enjoyment. For mushroom lovers, the pizza is out of this world. I used the porcini along with cremini, oyster and shitake. I chose wisely. The pesto was my mom’s home made variety and was excellent. It went perfectly with the mushroom mix. We loved it.
What I’d Do Different Next Time
I’d use more pesto, maybe double the amount.
- 12 ounces refrigerated fresh pizza dough
- Cooking spray
- ⅔ cup water
- ⅓ cup dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 (4-ounce) packages fresh exotic mushroom blend
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons refrigerated pesto
- 3 ounces whole-milk mozzarella cheese, shredded (about ¾ cup)
- Place a pizza stone or heavy baking sheet in oven. Preheat oven to 500° (keep pizza stone or baking sheet in oven as it preheats).
- Place the dough in a medium microwave-safe bowl coated with cooking spray. Cover and microwave at MEDIUM (50% power) 45 seconds. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Combine ⅔ cup water and porcini in a 2-cup glass measuring cup. Microwave at HIGH 4 minutes or until tender; drain. Coarsely chop porcini.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl. Add fresh mushrooms and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in porcini, pepper, and salt.
- Roll dough into a 12 x 8-inch rectangle on a floured surface. Carefully remove pizza stone from oven; arrange dough on pizza stone. Spread pesto over dough, leaving a ½-inch border. Sprinkle cheese over pesto; top with mushroom mixture. Bake at 500° for 13 minutes or until crust is browned and crisp. Cut into 8 pieces