Confession: I love McDonald’s breakfast.
Of course, it may not be the fact that it’s from McDonald’s that I love, but the fact that a) Hubby’s surprised me with it when he comes home from taking Dudette to school, b) it’s breakfast; something I like any time, anywhere, c) it always is accompanied by a Diet Coke (the largest Diet Coke they carry) and McDonald’s fountain drinks are the best, or d) all of the above.
I’ve said it before and will say it again; breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. So, it’s not surprising that I seek out and make just about all breakfast recipes I find in the magazines I go through, especially if they’re savory (and include bacon).
But, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t have reservations about this dish. It’s not like it’s as straightforward as an Egg McMuffin and that lovely ‘big French fry,’ as Dudette calls the hash brown.
No, this breakfast contains some decidedly unbreakfasty things; like corn tortillas (not a fan), jalapenos and hot sauce (burn my mouth), and cilantro (way not a fan).
Corn tortillas; chopped.
Small onion; chopped.
Onion; finely chopped.
Tomatoes; finely chopped.
Monterey Jack cheese; shredded.
Aside from the eggs, which should be beaten in a small bowl, the rest gets done on a cutting board and then it’s all thrown in a big skillet for cooking. Yes, there’s a certain order, but it’s still a one-pot meal. You gotta love those.
Only tip I have on the process is to make sure that the corn tortillas get good and crisp. Some pieces may get really brown, almost black, but don’t let that stop you if most are still floppy and chewy. You want the texture contrast going on.
Since Dudette was at school, it was only Hubby and me for breakfast so I halved the recipe, which still ended up being that huge mound of food you see in the picture. Even so, we inhaled all of it.
This dish is scrambled eggs on steroids. It’s amazing. I love all kinds of things in my eggs, but wouldn’t have thought to Tex-Mexifiy them like this. Yes, it’s pretty standard migas food, but that doesn’t make it any less excellent.
The corn tortillas did stay crunchy enough to give us a nice surprise when we bit into them. The heat was there, but not overwhelming, something about which I was concerned. Unnecessarily. Rachael’s done a fantastic job with this one and hit a breakfast home run. It’s a keeper.
What I’d Do Different Next Time
Not a thing.
- ¼ cup vegetable or corn oil
- 6 corn tortillas, chopped into bite-size pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large jalapeno chile pepper, chopped or thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- A handful cilantro, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, or to taste
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack
- 1 avocado, diced and sprinkled with fresh lime or lemon juice, for garnishing
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the tortilla pieces and brown well; season with salt. Add the onion, jalapeno, garlic and cilantro and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes.
- In a bowl, whisk up the eggs, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Pour into the skillet and scramble to desired doneness. Top with the cheese and avocado.