In planning mode for the big Easter dinner? Maple Bacon Braised Brussels Sprouts, my #BloggerCLUE reveal, make a perfect side dish.
I owe a big thank you to Lisa from Authentic Suburban Gourmet. Even before I realized that the theme for this month’s Blogger C.L.U.E. was Easter, I knew I was going to find my side dish for Easter Sunday dinner. I knew it because, like me, Lisa loves Brussels sprouts. And I mean loves.
Even though I don’t know if I’ll be serving ham or lamb yet, I know the the sprouts will be on the table. Even though this maple and bacon version won today, I’ll still be testing the Pan Fried Brussels sprouts with Sriracha, Honey and Lime, as well as the Brussels Sprouts with Pear and Hazelnuts. Both of those combinations make me swoon.
I love that Lisa is passionate about the humble, wonderful Brussels sprout and has been willing to pour so much creativity into finding tasty and wonderful ways to serve the vegetable.
That being said, I could have always gone with an Easter standard; Deviled Eggs with Bourbon Bacon Jam. I mean, c’mon, who can resist that? I’ll probably give the eggs a go after the egg hunt is done.
But for today, it’s all about the vegetable.
With so few ingredients, the prep was super easy. All I had to do was chop the bacon and halve the Brussels sprouts. I cooked the bacon in a medium-high skillet until crisp, removed it and added my Brussels sprouts, sautéing them until they started browning. I added the maple syrup, cooked it until it was nice and thick, then put my bacon back. It was easy.
What a stellar combination. I love the way the salty bacon plays off the sweet syrup and how the Brussels sprouts bring them both together. Long after I was full I kept snagging bits and pieces of the dish because it was so addicting. This would be an excellent side dish to pair alongside ham or lamb.
Maple Bacon Braised Brussels Sprouts Recipe
- 4 Cups Brussels Sprouts, cut in half
- 6 Strips of Applewood Smoked Bacon
- 6 Tablespoons butter, cubed
- 4 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Rinse the Brussels sprouts under cold water and dry. Once dry, cut each sprout in half.
- Place the bacon strips on a cutting board and cut into ½ strips. In a medium saute pan, heat the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Strain the bacon out of the pan and place on paper towels. Keep the bacon fat in the pan and add the butter and heat until melted. Once the butter is melted, add the Brussels Sprouts and stir frequently. Saute until the sprouts begin to brown. Add the bacon back to the sprouts and add the maple syrup. Heat until the syrup appears to stick to the Brussels sprouts and a deep caramelization is reached. Season with salt and pepper.
About The Group
As you know, over this past year the second Wednesday of the month has been reserved for the Blogger C.L.U.E. Society, a group of food bloggers who play a game together; sneaking around each other’s sites and surprising one another with the dishes we make from what we find. It’s our chance to have fun together and since you’re here, you get to be a part of the game. I’d love it if you’d take a minute and check out the other players. Heck, you may even find the person who got Taking On Magazines as their blog before I do. If you do discover who it was, let me know, okay?
- Asparagus Tips with Cucumber Vinaigrette by Anna from annaDishes
- Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding with Rum Cinnamon Sauce by Rebekah from Making Miracles
- Cloverleaf Rolls by Wendy from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Grilled Lamb Chops Dijon by Sue from A Palatable Pastime
- Honey and Thyme Glazed Ham by Lea Ann from Cooking on the Ranch
- Honey Balsamic Carrots by Stacy from Food Lust People Love
- Jalapeno Cheddar Biscuits by Lisa from Authentic Suburban Gourmet
- Lemon Loaf by Lauren from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Maple Bacon Braised Brussels Sprouts by Christiane from Taking on Magazines
- New Potato Salad Tartare by Kate from Kate’s Kitchen
- Rosemary Cheddar Cornbread Muffins by Amy from Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Sgroppino al Limon by Kathy from A Spoonful of Thyme
- Strawberry Shortcakes with Olive Oil Cake by Liz from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Surprise Carrot Cake by Debra from Eliot’s Eats
- Sweet Almond Pastry by Kathy from Bakeaway with Me
- Christy from Confessions of a Culinary Diva