Tasty, healthy and ready in 30 minutes, this Easy White Chicken Chili is a perfect cold weather, comfort food meal that everyone will love.
I have a confession. I’m not very creative when it comes to leftovers. It’s general knowledge in our house that if there does happen to be food remaining on servings dishes after a meal, it’ll show up again, the only difference being a plastic container instead of a ceramic plate. Such is life in our house.
Unless it’s chicken.
When I make any chicken dish, I always hope that I’ll have leftovers and when I do, it never ends up in a plastic container for lunch the next day. Ever.
Why, you ask?
Because of white chicken chili, of course.
There are dozens (probably hundreds) of white chicken chili recipes floating around out there. Heck, there are several within these pages; like this one from Food Network, this one and this one from Cooking Light, or this version I’ve made with leftover turkey. This one just happens to be from Taste of Home.
The word ‘easy’ is in the title of this dish for a reason. It’s super simple to pull together. The biggest prep tool needed is a can opener. Open four cans, chop an onion and that part’s done.
I will admit that I strayed from the recipe as far as the chicken was concerned. I’m not a fan of ground meat in soups (especially chicken) so I used the leftover chicken I had on hand and shredded it instead. It saved the step of having to cook the chicken, so I just sautéed the chopped onion in a bit of olive oil, then added the chicken and proceeded as per instructions.
After dumping everything in the pot, stirring and simmering for a while, the soup was done.
This meal never made to leftovers status. We ate the whole batch in one sitting. That’s how good it was. I think cumin and green chilies create magic when they’re together and both are a perfect match for chicken. The chili was fantastic. In fact, I’m thinking that I should have doubled the recipe.
What I’d Do Different Next Time
Ground chicken: $5.49*
Cannellini beans: $2.29
Chopped green chilies: $1.29
Chicken broth: $.89
Sour cream: $1.19
*Using leftover chicken or buying boneless/skinless breasts, cooking and shredding them will cut the cost of the chicken in half.
Easy White Chicken Chili Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground chicken
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Optional toppings: reduced-fat sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large saucepan, cook chicken and onion over medium-high heat 6-8 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, breaking up chicken into crumbles.
- Place one can of beans in a small bowl; mash slightly. Stir mashed beans, remaining can of beans, chilies, seasonings and broth into chicken mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 12-15 minutes or until flavors are blended. Serve with toppings as desired.