Cheddar, Apple and Pastrami Grilled Cheese

Pin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUponShare on FacebookShare on YummlyEmail this to someone

Cheddar, Apple and Pastrami Grilled Cheese | Taking On Magazines | www.takingonmagazines.com | Thinly sliced pastrami and apples pair perfectly with melted Cheddar and a Dijon/apple butter spread to make a delicious grilled cheese sandwich.

Our neighborhood is in the middle of its bulk item pick-up mode. Do you have that?

In one sense, the service offered by our county is awesome. We can get rid of that broken this, the ruined that and the destroyed other thing, all of which are too big to put in a trash can. And we don’t have to leave home.

All we do is put the junk at the end of the driveway and spend the rest of the afternoon peeking out the window. Why, you ask? Therein lies the other sense; the one that isn’t so awesome.

As the saying goes, one man’s trash is another man’s treasure. So, as soon as bulk pick-up time is upon us, strange vehicles begin driving up and down our street and through our neighborhood. As the folks driving see junk they like, truck beds are filled and trailers are loaded down with the things we were trying to throw away.

I don’t mind that people are thrifty and are willing to re-purpose the things that we throw out, really I don’t. What niggles the back of my mind is that it’s the perfect time for other people to be scoping out our houses, peering in open garages, trying to figure out schedules, noticing children. After all, what’s another pick-up truck driving slowly up and down the street these days?

And that, my friends, is an insight into how my Stephen King warped mind takes an awesome county service like bulk item pick-up and turns it into a horror story.

Welcome to me. Have a sandwich.

The Process

This little gem comes to Fine Cooking via Chef Eric Greenspan, owner and head shed of several restaurants in the LA area, including Greenspan’s Grilled Cheese. If a man owns a grilled cheese joint, you know his sandwiches are gonna be good.

I mean, imagine using a combination of apple butter, Dijon mustard and honey as a spread. Are you swooning yet? Then throw on some Cheddar (the recipe calls for white, but I only had the basic yellow kind), pastrami and thinly sliced apple.

Finally, grill the sandwich in browned butter. You heard me, browned. Swoon at will, my friends; swoon at will.

The Verdict

You can already tell what I thought, right? Did the whole swoon thing give me away? This sandwich is awesome. Deliciously, addictingly awesome. Hubby, who had just recently told me that he wasn’t a fan of corned beef, tasted my grilled cheese and requested his own. He loved it as well.

After all, if a man owns a grilled cheese joint, you know his sandwiches are gonna be good.

What I’d Do Different Next Time

Seriously? Nah, not touching that one.

The Recipe

Ingredients
  • 3 tablespoons apple butter
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • ½ teaspoon honey
  • Kosher salt
  • 4½-inch-thick slices sourdough bread
  • 8 oz. aged white Cheddar, thinly sliced or coarsely grated (about 2 cups)
  • 2 oz. thinly sliced pastrami
  • 6 to 10 very thin slices of apple, preferably honey crisp
  • 1-1/2 oz. (3 Tbs.) unsalted butter
Instructions
  1. Combine the apple butter, mustard, honey, and a good pinch of kosher salt in a small bowl. Spread evenly on two slices of bread and top with half of the cheese and the pastrami. Top that with a layer of sliced apple, overlapping the slices slightly, and the remaining cheese. Top with the other slices of bread to make two sandwiches.
  2. Melt 2 Tbs. of the butter in a heavy-duty 12-inch skillet over medium-low heat until lightly browned. Add the sandwiches and cook, adjusting the heat as necessary, until golden brown on one side, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip, add the remaining 1 Tbs. butter, and cook, lifting the edges of the bread to allow the butter to run under and adjusting the heat as necessary, until the cheese has melted and the other side is golden brown, another 3 to 4 minutes. Slice in half and serve.

If you’re in the Los Angeles area and find yourself on Melrose, do me a favor and have lunch at Greenspan’s Grilled Cheese, then let me know how it was, ok? I’m on the other side of the country and can’t see myself getting out there soon, but if Chef Eric’s other sandwiches are anything like this one, the restaurant must be awesome.

13 thoughts on “Cheddar, Apple and Pastrami Grilled Cheese

• Pingback: Welcome Fall With Apple Oatmeal Muffins #BloggerClue

• Pingback: Discovering the SweeTango Apple

• October 28, 2014 at 10:56 am

I just made these for a pumpkin carving party last Sunday. They were a hit! I made half with pastrami, and half with ham. I couldn't find white cheddar at my local Walmart so I used yellow. They turned out wonderful and I sent left overs home per their requests! Several people asked for the recipe, so I'd say that these were a success!

• October 28, 2014 at 11:08 am

Thanks so much for letting me know what you and your crew thought of the sandwiches, Tracy! I'm glad they were a success and everyone enjoyed them. I hope the pumpkins turned out awesome too.

• April 13, 2014 at 8:50 am

I have never done the apple and cheese thing…. so I am very interested in trying this sandwich. :)

• April 10, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Last week I had a Swiss, ham grilled cheese with thinly sliced Granny Smith applies. (From a food truck no less.). Love the sounds of this one.

• April 10, 2014 at 10:43 am

We have a "police pug" that patrols our complex – one funky person that drives by that Sir Jeffie doesn't like and it's AROOOOO time for him. In all seriousness, I totally understand your Stephen King mode of thinking. You just never know these days with some characters. For us – bulk trash has to be dropped off at a Citizen's Trash Center here in Philly – thankfully it's 3 streets over but still.

RE: the grilled cheese – I saw that in the mag and was so tempted to try. Now I might have to give this a go – plus – who doesn't love apples and cheddar, right?

• April 9, 2014 at 9:03 am

In this part of Florida, the garbage pick up fee is part of our tax assessment. We can put anything and everything out each week and they will take it away regardless of how big it is – well, within reason. That means that we have those "scrappers" cruising through our neighborhood every week. It also means that The Mom Chef probably wouldn't want to live in Jacksonville.

I was just thinking that I needed to pick up a bag of dried apples so I could remake my recipe for apple butter for photo purposes. Now I have something besides plain toast to put it on! That sandwich sounds amazing!

• April 9, 2014 at 10:09 am

No, I don't think I'd want to live in Florida, but the scrappers are a very small part of the reason why. That being said, I'm so very intrigued by the thought of seeing armadillos around. I'll be mulling over that one all day. :)

• April 9, 2014 at 8:49 am

We have garbage day twice a year. The 1st is in a week or so. We have a bunch of stuff to get rid of. We however, have to take it to the highway dept. which is only a mile away. We have no truck though. We are lucky that 4 of our neighbors have trucks so someone always helps us out. I have an SUV but I don't see a full bed frame fitting in that for sure.
    Love love love grilled cheese. I could eat it every day and not blink an eye. This sammy looks really good. I like corned beef once in a while. I will probably skip the apple butter for two reasons….1. I don't have it and 2. Not sure what I would ever use it on.
    Spring has sprung finally here. Today is the coldest day of the week….low 40's. Should be 60 by the weekend. I can't really complain about 40 as certainly beats negative temps.
    So, are you keeping the Muse or going back to the Sip?

• April 9, 2014 at 10:08 am

But, but, but … the apple butter is such a major component of the spread. Do you eat bagels or English muffins? It's awesome on those. It's also really good as an ingredient for a coating on pork loin. Anyhow, I think we have this pick-up thing twice a year too. The truck just came by a little while ago so now our street's clear and I won't have to watch any potentially unsavory types driving up and down our street.

Oh, I'm keeping the Muse. Just one week into it I was spoiled with the extra time I got to spend cuddling with Dudette. I don't think I could go back now. :)

• April 9, 2014 at 10:35 am

If you Google Apple Butter Recipes, you will find all kinds of things to use it in. I used it in Apple ButterMuffins it was so good. It also keeps a long time.

• April 9, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Thanks Bea. I will have to look it up :)